If we’re headed north for the weekend, Thursday night is Trader Joe’s night. Sometimes I hit the hardware store as well but I always hit Trader Joe’s, stocking up on food for the weekend. We’re not big fans of prepared foods and we tend to cook from scratch, so there are a bunch of things I haven’t tried, and right now we’ve got limited equipment, so things like rice and pasta are off limits. When your cooking choices are a barbeque or an oven, the best things at Trader Joe’s are:
- the baby broccoli (tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper, it’s great roasted)
- the ready-made tube of polenta, the bruscetta, and the parmesan (slice polenta, put on cookie sheet, top with a tablespoon of bruscetta and a sprinkle of parmesan, and bake)
- the frozen croissants (we tried the pain au chocolat too but found them a little sweet)
- the refrigerator biscuits are definitely a guilty pleasure and on a cold morning lovely with butter and jam – but there’s only so much two people can eat in a weekend
- pork tenderloin or a chicken (both very well priced here and totally bake-able)
- small bags of Tempting Trail Mix (stays fresh longer in small bags)
- the Jamesons – a shot under the stars is the perfect way to end a long, hard workday!